30/01/2016

"CLOSURE-LOGY"


DING-DONG!!!... So... I'm sure we've all gotten it in and one day I'll stop reiterating it, but till then... I'm an upcoming hairdresser (lol...watch this space) and everyday I try to learn new ways to improve my art/ trade. So!!! today we're talking about closures

... *Flashback*... So when I initially started doing hair, it was pretty much standard weaves, two packs of premium or chocolate, nothing out of the ordinary. Practicing on my head (chai used to do my hair every two weeks, lol, now if I have a weave everyone is excited on my behalf).. again shouout to my mummy for providing all the hair. I never really stepped outside my comfort zone, partly so no one would blame me or insult me if anything went wrong and partly cuz I was only doing it for extra cash when I was broke (it was a hobby then and not so much of a potential career path)...

 Any ways one day this client of mine booked an appointment and, but to my horror when the day came, she wanted no leave out but a closure. *lol... insert dismayed smiley*  I was just staring at this girl and her closure thinking, "I've never done this before, i dont want to ruin it, this geh will spoil my business" doubt and fear settled in all the space of a minute... "hmmmmn this girl will look like old school Nollywood with their shitty hair". Now, I'm not sure if it was lack of an alternative or she just trusted/ believed in my abilities (lol) but she insisted and I made it. To my utter surprise everyone loved it and she was a great source of traffic for/ to me and my business. I had now harnessed a new power, with no regrets, I must say it's one of my favorite things to do now...

So back to present day, I believe originally the only way these (closures) could be done was by adding glue to the hair line (imagine how many hairlines would've suffered loss as a result). We thank the good Lord some persons somewhere came up with new ideas and innovations to help resolve this . My focus is on the elastic band method, this entails putting an elastic band on the closure to make it lay flat and flawless. But I'm afraid in my opinion this came with a few problems (discussed below) and this, in my attempt to fix the issues is my variation of the elastic band... *drumroll*... "THE BLOSURE"



Lol... silly name, no?... what I've actually done is replace an elastic band with an adjustable strap, a bra strap to be precise, Normally, I would use an elastic band but I've found that long term stay/use will thin out your edges and hairline (I don't believe in using extensions at the detriment of your hair)... We're trying to grow our manes!... It still does the same job as an elastic band but it gives your client the option of easing the "slayage" by adjusting the strap, as you would do a bra. Since it is a weave and the length of time people keep their weaves in differs, the long term use if done too tight, is thinned out edges on the other hand if done to loose it'll shit back/ lift/ move as hair grows underneath it. In this case, the elastic remains strong and useful.



By fastening it you can make it tight and extra flat on your head, upp-ing the slayage amp when you're going out or you can loosen it and have a nice scratch, on your couch potato days. It works pretty much how your bra works which is in my opinion the advantage it has over its predecessor the regular elastic band. I feel like that has to be fitted on tight and as such your head really never gets a break, blood flow is restricted, which could equate thinned edges, bald spots, (in the long term) hair loss and headaches/ migranes could possibly be brewing...



If the hair is sewn on appropriately the strap will not be visible and your hair styling options are unlimited. I hope that this is helpful to someone and if you have alternative ideas please feel free to comment and share. Also, check out my instagram page linked above for photos and videos of my work.  Xox


No comments:

Post a Comment