28/01/2016

THROWBACK: HAIRSTORY



Hey guys!!!!!... Happy New Year. I've been away for a minute eh?... I know and apologize... I've realized running a blog isn't beans, I applaud all the consistent and more established bloggers...But God dey we go get there. Anyways I'm back and I'm doing me. Without further a do lets get on to today's post. 

I'm a law student and hairdresser at heart. When I was younger I LOOOOVED LOOOOOOOOVED  fiddling with my hair and if/ when I had the opportunity to get into someone else' I would be so over joyed and seize it. I'm still an up-coming hairdresser, building a portfolio and rep for myself, but I've had a considerable number of ladies and men in my chair. Which equates to a lot of small talk about their hairstory and mine, at the moment i'm growing my hair in her natural state, which I find is an excellent topic of/ for discussion, with new and regular clients. 

I try not to be too preachy or political about the significance or importance of natural hair because I believe in diversity, individuality and quite frankly to each his own blah blah blah...  But last week while having a totally unrelated conversation with my friend I got probably the worst photo/ throwback of me, ever!!!!!!!... Asides my hairless eyebrows (no I did/ do not shave or shape them, Jesus didn't share them reach my side... but he gave someone the knowledge to create eyebrow pencils so I'm content) all I could see was how terrible my hairline was and how I would ensure this friend never "threw me back" (lol)... Like in my head this photo needed to be burnt infact the phone or computer it was saved on had to be destroyed and it needed to be done by the guys in Hazmat suits. Now I'm not saying this is or was every ones struggle but it was mine. 


5 YEARS OF RELAXERS
At the time, I was in my final year of high school, aged 14/ 15ish, I wasn't permitted braids, weaves or any form of extensions, so this was solely the work of about 4-5 years of hair relaxers and corn rows. I know it definitely was not the cornrows that did this to me, cuz that's majorly how I wear my hair atm. This photo re-awakened me to the damaging effects to my hair, scalp and head of those 5years of relaxers (pre A level, foundation and university relaxing), not to talk about the possible side effects the chemicals in the relaxer had on my health inwardly. As you can see my hair was sooo thin and my hairline had receded and in its place I had some nice bald spots .

HAIR CUT
When I cut my hair in 2013 and had it low everyone congratulated and applauded my self confidence and bravery for the new cut...lol... on the contrary I applaud my confidence level walking with my "iya eko/ ijebu" hairline and still feeling badass *...lol... insert cool guy, fire and 100 emoji here*... SHOUTOUT to my mother who everyday of my life has re-enforced that I'm beautiful and that built my confidence to GREAT WALL OF CHINA level, LMFAO shoutout as well to all the boys who still thought I was cute at that time... but i digress... 

5YEARS WITH RELAXER - 2YEARS WITHOUT
The change in my hair/ hair growth in these 2 years, as opposed to my 8 years (in total) of hair relaxers, I must say is totally DRASTIC, before now a few clients and friends had asked if I'd ever relax my hair again and I'd reply "yeah i'm open to the idea" or "the natural hair might not be permanent" or "oh i'm just seeing living in the moment". But I have gotten some clarity from this photo and a few others (I did my digging) and, I'm definite I would not be relaxing my hair ever again! 

VERSATILITY OF THE FRO
Contrary to popular belief, natural hair isn't HARD to deal with or unmanageable or untidy or unprofessional etc, I'm not saying this because I have a general flair for hair, I had to learn and train myself to take care of my hair in this state. If you give me one excuse, I'll give you reasons why you might be better off growing your hair in it's natural state. If it is styling versatility, afro hair has got it. If it is the weather, protective styling using hair extensions are always and option. Not as a way of hating you, but as way of protecting your hair from harsher weathers, attaining length, expressing yourself and creativity etc (although there are levels to this and it could also be detrimental to your hair if not done right (topic for another post). If your issue is looking professional in your work place, in my opinion this is a styling issue and not a hair issue... What i'm saying is majority of our "hair issues" are just styling issues, its got more to do with how you style your hair than your hair itself.

Obviously if you've never done something a first attempt might seem difficult or tasking but as they say practice makes perfect and the only constant is change. So change your mindset have some patience  and watch your fro grow!!!! Like I said earlier this is my experience and might not be everyone else, so if you happen to be one of the lucky few and your hair is great and still thick and "healthy" in its relaxed state that's EXCELLENT! But! imagine what it'd be like in its FULL GLORY, its natural state (I'm referring to people with hair like mine, but could apply to anyone else). Imagine the positive health effects this change'll bring (there is always a difference). You don't necessarily need to shave your head bald, or cut it really low as I did (although if it looks like mine did you should consider it), transition instead and, cut an three or two inches off every other month (as you please). This' food for thought for everyone because hair, regardless of texture, is (part of) our crowning glory and our disposition/care towards it totes could affect our lives. This' just my two cents and experience on the matter. 

My 2016 HYPE is in the words of Chi girl "maintaining my champion"! So I'll be doing a lot of posts on hair, my hair and hairdressing/styling, although there'll still be personal style and what I'm watching updates. Have a fantastic year and stay tuned... Xox

2 comments:

  1. Whoops! someone like myself, love natural hair a lot and i also hate cutting

    ReplyDelete